garments

Folkwear trial blouse update

I did get some work done on the blouse today, including making the upper four ties and sewing much of the collar — which I should note, initially was intimidating to me. But breaking things down into reasonable-sized chunks really helps me a lot.

I’ll probably work on it again tomorrow, though I also want to go out and get some silk thread for basting (it’s supposed to be easier to remove than standard cotton or polyester thread, which counts when the basting has been machine-sewn over). I should also note that diagonal basting gets caught by the presser foot — I had to keep pressing the thread down with my fingers so it wouldn’t gather the fabric.

I’ve got to remember not to safety-pin pattern pieces to fabric pieces — my fabric pieces get big holes in them that way. Luckily it was just the ties, and it was just muslin.

Either I need to get a light thread and re-baste the relevant sections of the collar…or just try my best to remove the basting after the collar is assembled. (It would have been easier just to machine-baste rather than hand-baste, though the basting would not be removable on the inside of the collar that way — unless I cut it into pieces on the wrong side and then picked the loops out from the right side.) I should check to see if I actually *do* have anything else to baste before committing to a trip tomorrow, though. After all, I could work on this all day straight otherwise.

I’ve been wanting to get some larger-gauge earrings, but seeing as I have less free funds to work with this month, I think that the money would be better put to fabric for the final version of this blouse. I mean, what do I do with earrings? Put them in and forget about them? Whereas constructing a nice blouse would keep me occupied for a while. Plus then I get another wardrobe element. I don’t need more jewelry, really. But I do need some clothing to go with my skirts.

For the final version of this I’m going to need:

1) fabric
2) light interfacing (woven or nonwoven, doesn’t matter)
3) matching high-quality thread
4) silk basting thread

I’m thinking of a dark blue batik for the fabric, but I don’t know if that will work out. If I use dark blue, I can use some of the Gutermann blue thread I’ve already got. But if I’m using batik, a dark bluish green could also work. I should probably check my wardrobe and see what I want it to match. I already know that the purple skirt is out, it has a hole in it. And I do have a lot of blue skirts. Plus I just got two mandarin-collar blouses in blue (one is indigo), so maybe I could do something a little different.

I need to check the tip of the sewing-machine needle and make sure it isn’t burred from sewing over that glass-head pin. I hope I didn’t hurt the pin too bad, either. I think I may have chipped it, but I didn’t think to feel the head to see if it was damaged before putting it back into the pincushion. Need to remember that next time.

(X-posted)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.